Congratulations! Your orthodontic treatment has been completed, and now it’s time to unveil your new and improved smile! You will now receive a retainer. Please carefully read and follow the instructions below.
What IS a retainer, and why do I need one?
Teeth move throughout your lifetime. Retainers hold teeth in the desired alignment after your orthodontic treatment. Your teeth can start shifting within 3 days of not wearing a retainer. It is very important to keep wearing your retainer to maintain that beautiful smile! Your teeth will move if you do not wear retainers!
What do I do with my retainers?
1. Wear retainers approximately 21 hours a day for the first month, or as Dr. Yang prescribes,
2. Followed by “night-time for lifetime.”
3. When retainers are not worn, they must be kept only in the retainer case.
4. Maintain removable retainers by:
- Clean them with a toothbrush each time you brush your teeth and by soaking in efferdent or similar cleaner as needed.
- Keep them away from extreme heat…hot cars, dishwasher, stove, etc.
- Never boil retainers or wash in very hot water; this could distort the retainer.
- Keep them away from pets: animals will chew on retainers and destroy them!
5. Remove retainers before eating meals, brushing, team sports, lake or ocean swimming and water parks.
6. You will experience an increase in saliva, and speech will be affected. These will return to normal in about 1-2 weeks.
7. We are providing your first set of retainers as a part of your treatment. Any additional retainers are at $225 per arch or $450 for top and bottom.
8. You are responsible for scheduling your own retention appointments as recommended by the doctor. Retention visits and checks are complimentary for the first year. Bring all removable retainers to retention appointments.
9. Have your General Dentist evaluate the readiness for wisdom tooth extraction (if not already extracted).
10. Call the office immediately if your retainer breaks or is not fitting properly.
11. Clear, removable retainers do wear out over time. We recommend having them replaced if they look visibly worn or have more than 3 holes.
12. The retainers you receive are extremely important for preventing the teeth from shifting
13. Back to their original position. Your teeth will move if you do not wear retainers!
To schedule an appointment, please call or text 215-757-0864 or email us at [email protected]. Feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns.